Saturday, 7 June 2014

Cyril Senior 1896 - 1918

Permission was given by the Great Central Railway for Cyril to Join Up
January 1896 in Dodworth

Son of:
James Senior b.1859 Dodworth
1911: Warren Royd Farm, Silkstone, Coal Miner
married 1884 to
Harriet Ann Senior (nee Smith) b.1868 Barnsley

Position in family:
3rd of 4 children
1. William George b.1887 d.1903 age 16
2. Smith b.1891

3. Cyril b.1896 WW1 DIED
4. Ernest b.1899

Home address, age and occupation:
1901: 7 Jackson Square, Dodworth age 4
1911: Warren Royd Farm, Silkstone age 14 Colliery Labourer above ground
1915: Warren Royd Farm, Silkstone Age 19 Railway Clerk


Military Service:
Enlisted: 29th March 1915 Barnsley at the age of 18 years under the Group System
Regiment and Battalion:  2nd/4th Btn York and Lancaster
Service number and rank:  24214 Private
Awards: Victory Medal and British War Medal

Personal information:
5 feet 5½ inches tall with a 35 inch chest.

1st December 1918 aged 22
Buried at: Busigny Communal Cemetery Extension, France
Grave Reference: VIII.B.34

Information from Commonwealth War Graves Commission:
Born at Dodworth, Barnsley. Son of James and H. A. Senior, of Flash House Farm, Thurlstone, Penistone, Yorks.

Silkstone War Memorial,
Silkstone All Saints, British Legion Memorial Plaque, and Dodworth War Memorial

Cyril remained in England from 29th November 1915 until 19th May 1916 when he was sent to France to join the battalion at Etaples. In June he got scabies and on 27th February 1917 he was wounded in action with a gunshot wound to the left thigh. He was sent back to England on Hospital Ship Cambria on 5th March 1917 and admitted to Bethnal Green Military Hospital where the bullet was removed, until 27th April 1917. He was given furlough from 27th April to 7th May 1917 and stayed with his Aunt, Mrs Farnsworth at 4 Green Road, Dodworth, and discharged from hospital on 21st August.

Cyril then went back to France  on 17th February 1918 but on 27th July 1918 was again wounded in action with gunshot wounds to right thigh. leg and fingers, and treated in Trouville Field Hospital, rejoining his regiment 7th September 1918.  It was at Trouville Field Hospital where he died of bronchial pneumonia on 1st December 1918, age 22.

With special thanks to late Rosemary Lee of the Roggins Local History Group, and Heritage Silkstone who hold Rosemary's archive of research into the men remembered on Silkstone War Memorial.

Additional research by Pete Schofield

No comments:

Post a Comment