1884 Silkstone, Baptised 6 July 1884 Silkstone All Saints
John Walter Bottom b.1850 Silkstone d. January 1914 Silkstone.
1911: John aged 60, was a retired coal miner living at Hillside, Silkstone.
married Q1 1872 to
Margaret Jane Bottom (nee Briddock) b.1850 Manchester d. January 1921 Silkstone
Position in family:
9th of 12 children
1.George William b.1871 d.1924 aged 53
2. Emma Rebecca b.1873 d.1905 aged 32
3. Frederick b.1873 d.1952 aged 79
4. Ann Elizabeth b.1876 d.1884 aged 8
5. Alice b.1877 d.1951 aged 74
6. Harry b.1879 d.1879 aged 5 months
7. Coniah b.1880 d.1948 aged 67
8. John James b.1882 d.1947 aged 65
9. Ernest b.1884 WW1 DIED OF WOUNDS
10. Thomas b.1887 d.1905 aged 18
11. Albert Edward b.1889 d.1925 aged 39
12. Eleanor Mary b.1891 d.1972 aged 80
Home address, age and occupation:
1891: Hillside, Silkstone aged 6
1901: Hillside, Silkstone aged 16 Coal Miner
1911: 45 South Yorkshire Buildings, Silkstone Common aged 26, Coal Miner (Hewer)
Clementine Bailey b. 1887 Silkstone d.1943 at Silkstone All Saints on 1st March 1909
(Clementine married to Willie Dyson in December 1921)
1. Elsie Bottom b.1909 d.1995
2. George Wilfred Bottom b.1911 d.1985
3. Annie Rebecca Bottom b.1913 d.1969
4. Ernest Walter Bottom b.1915 d.1985
Regiment and Battalion: 1st/5th Btn. King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (KOYLI)
Service number and rank: 4128 Private
Awards: Victory Medal, the British War Medal, and 1915 Star.
19th December 1915, aged 30 from wounds received in action
Buried at: Hospital Farm Cemetery, Belgium
Grave Reference: D.14.
Information from Commonwealth War Graves Commission:
Husband of Clementine Bottom, of High St., Silkstone, nr. Barnsley, Yorkshire.
Silkstone War Memorial
Silkstone All Saints, British Legion Memorial Plaque WW1 & WW2
Ernest's Grandmother Rebecca Bottom (nee Hoyland) was the sister of Frances Hoyland who drowned in the Huskar Pit Disaster of 4th July 1838 at Silkstone
|Barnsley Chronicle 29 January 1916|
With special thanks to late Rosemary Lee of the Roggins Local History Group, and Heritage Silkstone who hold Rosemary's archive of research into the men remembered on Silkstone War Memorial.
Additional research by Pete Schofield